Friday, September 6, 2019

Thru to Thursday

Almost made it it through another week of school-school. Whew. It's starting to feel like everyone is finding they're groove.

Thursdays are pretty packed, but today was especially busy since Sam had to cook a couple of dishes for his world geography class. He pretty much did most of it himself and I just gave him pointers on cutting onions and peppers and little things like that. I guess I did man the pupusas on the griddle as well.

We pretty much stuck to the recipes we were given, (I never follow recipes, unless I'm baking). I would've done a couple things differently... For example, anytime I make masa for tamales, I use chicken broth to flavor it, the way my grandma showed me... so this dough tasted super bland to me. But I did discover that I like the taste of smoked paprika in black beans (which I basically never use smoked paprika 'cause... I dunno why). The only thing I couldn't talk myself into was using a seasoning packet that had food coloring in it. I wrestled back and forth and eventually just looked up a scratch recipe for it and mixed all the spices together myself; super easy and no food coloring required!

I did have a little stress-out session yesterday when I realized I hadn't properly prepared my grocery budget for this extra cooking, which meant the chicken I had planned to last 2 dinners, would be used up for a lunch that we weren't going to get to eat. But it worked out. I had made more black beans than the recipe called for and there was one piece of chicken that came back from the class, so I mashed it all up and made more pupusas for dinner (and of course I used chicken broth in the masa lol). One chicken thigh, 1 cup of cooked black beans and a pound or two of masa fed all of us with leftovers lol. Oh and since there was so much sauce leftover from the chicken dish, I added a bit of cream cheese and cheddar cheese to make a thicker cheesy sauce to slather the pupusas with. Yum. Oh.



The girls' homeschool ballet class was today. Dave put together a couple of pvc ballet barres for the class, but we'll probably need to build one more, 6ft isn't as long as it sounds on paper lol.

In other news... We're still waiting on all the hospital bills to come through... the waiting is pretty torturous for me. So far we've gotten the 2 urgent care visits, x-rays, radiology and the ER. Its manageable so far, but I keep thinking about friends I have who are chronically ill or are dealing with major health problems out of nowhere. We may have a ridiculously high deductible, and some stress with that, but we at least have insurance to help soften the blow. That's more than most!

I worked the dinner shift tonight, which was pretty much dead and boring, but then I came home and enjoyed sitting outside on the porch for a good while, managing to escape with only ONE mosquito bite. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment