Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Name Game

So the fun began when I had to find a new address for this new blog and of course that means a new name. I was trying to think of a name that was creative but not too cheesy, something more general or universal since sometimes blogs are so focused on one thing that it's hard to branch out into something else... and I'm pretty much all over the place so I didn't want to restrict myself to just one thing.

I started to play around with my name and looked up the meaning again, which I've always known as "God is my Judge" or "arbiter"... well that's cool but not catchy and blog names usually need to be catchy. BUT! Good ol' Wikipedia also had this:
Dana or Danah, in Arabic, means "the most perfectly sized, valuable and beautiful pearl". This name is used mainly by Arabs of the Persian Gulf, due to their traditional pearl diving professions wherein they gave different type of pearls names.


Of course I thought that was pretty neat, plus pearls are cool! And did you know that the history of swimming goggles dates back to the 14th century where Persians were described as using polished tortoise shells when diving for pearls? well now you do. :) Then I was thinking of things I like and colors and such and of course I'm all about peacock's lately (I'll be getting a peacock tattoo on my arm soon, I'll post a picture of my sketch at the end of this post).

So I was playing around with the words "peacock" and "pearl" and discovered there are actual "peacock pearls", go figure!
"A peacock pearl describes one of the most valued and sought after colours of a type of saltwater pearl called the Tahitian pearl, which are cultured in French Polynesia in the black-lipped oyster Pinctada margaritifera." 
well. spiffy!

and thus was born "The Peacock Pearl" bloggerredo name (that's an old word I just made up, in case you missed it). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment